The school year is quickly approaching, which means it’s time to get in those dental cleanings! Before you do, here are some fun facts for the kiddos that are entertaining, educational, and fun!
Gather your kids around and check out these wild and wacky facts about dentistry. Then talk to your kids about them and see where the conversation and their imaginations lead you.
- Brushing your teeth only cleans 70% of your teeth.
- Tooth decay is the second most common disease in the United States after the common cold.
- Chewing gum was first introduced to America by Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. He was the president of Mexico who fought Davy Crockett in the battle of the Alamo. His version of gum was “chicle,” the latex sap from the sapodilla tree. Chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can help prevent tooth decay!
- Queen Elizabeth I brushed her teeth with sugar!
- Lucy Hobbs was the first woman in the world to earn a doctor of dental surgery. (D.D.S)
- The most popular toothbrush color is blue!
- Toothpaste used to only come in one flavor, mint.
- Not every tooth is the same. They are all unique.
Starting conversations early about oral healthcare is crucial to form proper long-term oral hygiene practices in the future. Need to schedule an appointment? Feel free to give us a call, we’ll be happy to help!